17 December 2010

Day 0: Schiphol Airport, Amsterdam

I flew into Schiphol from Minneapolis/St. Paul, and what a sight. The whole place is decked out for Christmas--lights, trees, festive decorations. It's positively decadent.

Schiphol Airport

Schiphol Airport

Like any airport, it has its shops.

Schiphol: Chocolates

Schiphol: Liquor

I promised my friend Rae that I'd find and eat Stroopwafel while I was in Amsterdam. I wandered the terminals and finally found some in a vending machine.

Stroopwafel

For those who aren't familiar with the magical Stroopwafel, it is a kind of cookie made of wafers with thick, almost caramel-like syrup in between. An inverted waffle, basically. Madness, perhaps, but truly delicious.

Schiphol Airport

Back to the shops. The standard sort - newspapers, bars, junk food - were present, but I have to point out some of the specialty shops:

Schiphol: Bulb Shop

Bulbs. I can't imagine they'd do all that well on a plane, but... all right!

Schiphol: Chocolate Buffet

Yes, this is a buffet of chocolate.

From Schiphol, I boarded a tiny Airbus for the two-hour flight to Florence. Much of Europe was covered with snow, the landscape all white peppered with the black shapes of buildings and patches of forest. It was breathtaking--and then we passed over the Alps.

The Alps

2 comments:

  1. /OH MY GOD/, THAT PICTURE OF THE ALPS. OH MY GOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD THE STROOPWAFEEEEEEEEEL~! ♥♥♥

    YOUR PICTURES ARE AMAZING AHHHHH ILU.

    ReplyDelete